Friday, March 28, 2008

A Million Dollar Friday Five

I get to host the Rev Gal Blog Pals Friday Five this week.

Lingering effects of a cold have me watching more television than usual. There appears to be a resurgence of the old daytime staple--the quiz show. Except they are on during prime time, and a great many of them offer the chance of winning one million dollars.I think it started with Regis Philbin and "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" but now we have a half dozen or so.

My husband and I started musing (after watching "Deal or No Deal") about what we could do with a million dollars. I thought I'd just bring that discussion into the Friday Five this week. It's simple. What are five things you would want to do with a million dollar deposit in your bank account?

1. I would pay off our mortgage. What a relief that would be! On SO many levels!

2. I'd bring my mother back home from the local long-term care facility, and I'd hire someone full time to care for her here, among her own things, in her own bed, looking out over our yard, birds, stream, and so on. They would cook southern dishes and look through pictures and be very patient when dealing with her increasing difficulty speaking.

3. I would share with my kids. For Kris and her family, I'd pay off their mortgage and bribe them to move to Wisconsin. (Just kidding...kind of.) I would establish some sort of trust fund for Trinity. For our son, Josh, hmmm, I think I would make some sort of deal to pay for him to return to college as long as he got reasonable grades. The boy (who is not a boy, but a man of 30) needs to get his butt back in school before it is too late.

4. I'd invest wisely so it would grow. I would then use enough to have a comfortable retirement, but the rest would fund causes that have the power to change lives.

5. I would quickly send a sizable sum to one of those causes. David and Beth Grant, Assemblies of God missionaries founded Project Rescue. Project Rescue seeks to free children and young women from India's forced sex trade--the "new slavery." They are doing wonderful work, but the need is vast and the resources are scarce. Several centers are operating, but many more are needed.

I could go on and on and on....

21 comments:

Sally said...

Love this, praying that somehow your dream for your mom will come true....

Auntie Knickers said...

Ah yes, the temptation to use money to get people to do what's good for them! My own kids are doing OK, but I have nieces and nephews I'd love to be able to "bribe" to get more education....I love your dream for your Mom, I wish all the elders could have that kind of place.

RevAnne said...

Love your dream for your mom--what a lovely and generous way to care for her. Praying with Sally that it will come true.

revhipchick said...

beautiful dreams. i especially love the one about bringing your mom home, beautiful.

thank you for alerting us to project rescue.

a very fun Friday 5!

Diane said...

I like what you said about your mom, too, and your kids. :)
sharing....

Muthah+ said...

This took the shortest amount of time to play. My dreams are about the same as yours but no kids to bribe.

Presbyterian Gal said...

I hear you about your mom. That would be sweet.

Haven't been here in awhile. Gorgeous picture of you. That color suits you.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

what a tender-hearted mom & daughter you are! (not surpisingly)

love the easter egg photo!

AND #5 yes indeed the resources are scarce but wow amazing work to be done there... so much. so, so much.

LutheranChik said...

I loved the idea for your mom; and Project Rescue sounds like an excellent ministry in which to invest.

Wyldth1ng said...

This is a fun Friday five, thank you.

Ruth said...

Interesting question. I would want approximately the same things as you. At least I hope I would. Might be different if I had the money in my hands.

truth said...

Oh, I enjoyed reading this! It got me started on thinking what I would do with the money. (I like the thought of using it to motivate others, lol.)

Certified Healing Coach said...

I pray, too, that some of these dreams will come true for you!

Rev SS said...

Thank you for a great FF. I'm with the others praying your dream for you mom can come true, and wishing all elders could have this kind of place. And, agree about Rescue being a worthy recipient.

"PS" (a.k.a. purple) said...

Today just was not a Friday Five day, but I am enjoying reading the responses. Thanks for hosting.

david said...

Taking care of your mom would be such a blessing.

Jeni said...

I don't know why I'm not surprised a bit to read your wish list if you were to win a huge sum of money.

However, if you do suddenly acquire great wealth, you'd best establish a nice hefty fund of some sort to grow for you and label it for use in paying fuel bills and buying gasoline/oil for the cars! Prices rising here again today -supposedly to $3.50 a gallon but I don't know how true that figure is. Wouldn't surprise me though if it were the truth, ya know.

nightmare said...

Wow, you're much more benevolent than I am. Probably be a lot better if you get it instead of me.

Kris said...

Well Daryl and I have often talked about what we would do with a large sum of money (usually more than a million, like a large 100,000 million).
1. Fix up our house to the best it could be, pay off the mortgage and find some family that needs it and give it to them.

2. Pay off everyone's mortgage (in the family that is)

3. Move to New Zealand and bring mom & dad with (if they will come).

4. Travel all over the world and find orphanages and missions groups that need help from helping young children, to mosquito nets to helping rescue chimps and hand them a check as we leave.

5. Make sure we had money saved u to last through to old age and to give Trinity the education she will want when she is older.

Singing Owl said...

New Zealand??

Wouldn't it be wonderful to be able to afford to just GIVE AWAY your newly renovated home to a needy family needing a helping hand? Man!

Thursday's Child said...

A little belatedly - thank you for a great FF, and for your kind comments on mine. Your dreams for your mum are so close to my heart, and I can only pray with Sally that there will be a way...