Monday, July 31, 2006

Tagged for a Book Meme

Dr. Pursiful, mentioned in the last post, tagged me with this li'l book quiz.

1. One book that changed your life:
The Woman Question by Kenneth Hagin. Yes, really. I'm not a Hagin fan, and this book is really not all that good (sorry!). But at the time I read it (the only thing I could find on the subject) my spiritual eyes opened, my thoughts changed, my heart lifted. The Holy Spirit was my guide and my teacher, and I saw truth. I now have much better books on the subject of women in ministry, but none transformed my thinking like this one, which was based on the writing of P.C. Nelson, an Assemblies of God pioneer, and one of Hagin's early professors. I used to give copies away, and I keep one to remember what happened to me the day I read it--at one sitting--feeling my world change forever.

2. One book that you’ve read more than once:
Only one? That's tough. Any book really worth reading is worth reading several times. Okay, just one... don't expect anything deep or theological or spiritual here...hmmm...okay, I've read this one over and over. The Wind in The Willows. Great book! What? You haven't read it?

3. One book you’d want on a desert island:
Well, this is cheating a bit, because it is many books, but I'd like the complete set of C.S. Lewis, including the science fiction stuff.

4. One book that made you laugh:
Lake Woebegone Days by Garrison Keillor. We were the pastors of a church of Scandinavian Wisconsinites at the time in a town so much like Lake Woebegone that it was unbelievable. I had living examples of the book's characters in the church and in the town. I laughed so hard I acturally fell off the couch. However, it seems people either love the book or hate it.

5. One book that made you cry:
The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo. My family owned a large set of classics. This one was...BIG. And some of the descriptive passages are hard to wade through, but it is brilliant (in spots) and it was one of my first experiences of feeling distress at a total lack of justice and right action.

6. One book that you wish had been written:
One Hundred and One Simple Explanations of Why I Said What I Said by the Apostle Paul.

7. One book that you wish had never been written:
The Book of Mormon

8. One book you’re currently reading:
Jesus on Leadership by C. Gene Wilkes

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read:
I Suffer Not a Woman by Catherine Kroeger

10. Now tag five people:
Psalmist, Questing Parson, Songbird, Rev. Abi, Jan

4 comments:

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Sorry so many links seem not to be working. I'm trying to fix it.

Psalmist said...

Now I "get" being tagged. Thanks for thinking of me. I'll answer later, probably tonight.

Questing Parson said...

So, I said, "Lord, would you provide me with one more reason not to work on next Sunday's sermon?"

And then I got tagged. I should have been more specific.

Got to think on this one. I'll post on Wednesday night.

Unknown said...

I'm just catching up here and will do this later!