Friday, December 23, 2005
RevGal Friday Five: Christmas Music
1) If you had to choose CDs as a soundtrack for the Christmas season, what would they be?
I have a wonderful c.d. of the arias and choruses. I also have several cassettes of the whole thing, but the c.d. is so marvellous I tend to stick with it. Last week I was alone in the church office and I cranked the volumn all the way up to listen to it...."For Unto Us a Child is Born....." GLORIOUS!
2) How do you feel about singing all the verses of "The First Noel?" (Six in our hymnal, but apparently there are nine.)
Sing 'em all. One cannot have too much Christmas music.
3) "O, Come All Ye Faithful" has a lot of verses, too. Which is your favorite?
The first. I love the call to worship! JOYFUL and TRIUMPHANT! O Lord, may it be so in my lifetime!
4) What music do you play while opening presents?
None. Too much laughing and talking going on to hear the music anyway.
5) Which carols do you consider to be Christmas Eve essentials?
What Child is This?
Joy to the World
and a Bonus Question:
6) What, if any, is your favorite secular Christmas song?
I like Jose Feliciano's version. But my absolute favorite version is not recorded. My husband is a prison chaplain. Each Christmas the English speaking and Spanish speaking (singing?) choirs combine for a rousing concert in the prison chapel. It is so joyful and fun and...amazing! More about prison and Christmas later.