Friday, July 25, 2014

Friday Five: The Sound of Muzak (tm)

I have not played the Friday Five for a very long time.  Today is the day, since I'm home from work.  Over at Rev Gal Blog Pals, Deb has this to say:

Recently, we got some Indian take-out food. While we were paying for our order, we heard a “Bollywood” version of “My Favorite Things.” We almost missed it because music is so much a part of our lives that we can ignore it!

Since then, I’ve been noticing some of the background music in my world. Sometimes it’s the busker at the Metro station, playing away for some quarters. Sometimes it’s the usual “oldies” station, or the “Mix” station (“the BEST of yesterday and today!!!”). And sometimes it is completely random, like that Bollywood moment…
SOooo let’s talk background music this week for our Friday Five.
1. At the office: If you have a choice, do you turn it up, turn it off, or drown it out with headphones? 
It depends on what I'm doing.  If I really need to concentrate, sometimes music gets irritating.  In general though, I turn it up.

2. At the grocery store or mall: What song (or genre of music) makes you want to hurl? Or throw something?
Genre: Rap.  If there is one thing I dislike, music wise, it is repetitive sounds over and over and over and over and over and over and over.  But you already figured out I HATE techno, but that usually isn't heard in grocery stores.  As for a song I never need to hear again, "The Pina Colada Song" might just top the list.

3. If you were going to create a “perfect playlist”, who are the artists (or songs/pieces) that you would include?
This is very hard because I love all kinds of music.  It would depend on my mood of the day, but somewhere in there I'd have Mozart, Bach, Debussy, The Iron Butterfly, The Beatles, Ian and Sylvia, Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Coldplay, Dave Matthews Band, Simply Red, Louis Armstrong, Jason Upton, Casting Crowns, Eric Clapton (unplugged), B.B. King, Fleetwood Mac, Aretha Franklin, maybe a little Who, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Cherry Poppin' Daddies, Fish, Straight No Chaser....oh....it is a looooong playlist.

4. Have you ever tried using recorded music in worship? If so, what was your plan, and how did it go over?
At my last pastorate, there was no worship team when I arrived.  We sang to CDs.  Many people were used to it because it had been the norm for a while.  I disliked it intensely, but you do what you gotta do!  One of my first goals was to get some real singers and musicians together.  As for using a special song, I did this often.  Sometimes it was a secular song, but always with a specific purpose.  I recall, "All We Need is Love" from the Beatles and "The Times They Are a Changin' from Dylan and once something from Harry Connick Jr.  I think it went over fine.  I often used a recording of a particularly nice communion song--"Come to the Table"--and it was beautiful.

5. When is the earliest you’ve heard Christmas music in the grocery store or mall?
August.  It was at Kohls.  I was so irritated I refused to shop at Kohls till the Holidays were past.

BONUS: “Weird Al Yankovich” has been releasing a stream of his parody music videos lately. Among my favorites: “Because I’m Tacky” :) If Weird Al was going to do a music video of your life, or a recent experience, what song/hymn/musical would the parody be based on?
I LOVE Weird Al.  I think it would be....hmmmm....."An American Tune" from Paul Simon. Here is a clip.

http://youtu.be/AE3kKUEY5WU

3 comments:

river song said...

Love your playlist! I played pretty quickly, and didn't think to say I *do* *not* ver want to hear any more heavy bass. Your worship music list is wonderful! When I was junior choir director, we did He Ain't Heavy, He's my brother and Bridge over Troubled Water. Not sure whether or not I'd do those today, though they've become classics. I've barely only heard of weird Al, so didn't attempt the bonus. So happy you played today; I've been kinda remiss about it, too.

Deb said...

What fun. I think we could trade playlists, no problem. Thanks for playing!

David Kenny said...

Hi everybody
Today I will introduce to everyone the top ringtone of the year 2018. Quality ringtone. Forbearance. You can listen and leave a feeling for my ringtone. You can find and search for other ringtones when visiting my homepage here:ringtone

Top 5 ringtones installed most in 2018, You can install by following these instructions:
- https://ringtonesmobile.net/bollywood
- https://ringtonesmobile.net/guru-randhawa-made-in-india-ringtone-download.html
- https://ringtonesmobile.net/prada-jass-manak-ringtone-download.html
- https://ringtonesmobile.net/despacito-ringtone-download.html
- https://ringtonesmobile.net/shape-of-you-ringtone-download.html
Your review will help me improve my ringtone better. These are free ringtones for everyone and you can share it with the world. Wish you have the best ringtone for your cell phone. Thank you!