Friday, January 25, 2008

It's a Winter Friday Five

The picture is out a window at my place, complete with screen. ;-)

Brrrr! Baby, it’s COLD outside! At least that is the case where I am this morning. We are in a January deep freeze. If you comment, I'm not ignoring you if I don't visit. My computer has a cold, or a headache...or something. Anyway, it keeps crashing. Here goes.

1. What is the thermometer reading at your house this morning?
- 6

2. Snow—love it or hate it?
Both. I love beautiful snowfalls, frosty days, snow on the evergreens, snow for Christmas. And I hate shoveling, and being cold, and slipping on ice for months on end. And today I'm just plain ol' cold. The sun is shining now, but clouds and snow are heading our way from Madison.

3. What is winter like where you are?
See above. Having grown up in Southern California, I actually do enjoy having four distinct seasons, but the thing is, winter just goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on.....way too long. I enjoy it when it first arrives, but by March I'm thinking it should be spring. Instead March can be the most snowy, wintry, stormy winter month of all.

4. Do you like winter sports? Any good stories?
No. And no. I'm too klutzy for sports--but snowmobiles are fun.

5. What is your favorite season, and why?
It is hard to say. I love fall, and crisp days and changing colors and fall clothing and all that. I love spring, as any long-time reader of this blog knows all too well, with it's splashes of color as the daffodils and tulips pop open, and I love the anticipation of green leaves and warmer days. And I love summer because it is warm. And I love camping and being outside. I guess I have three favorite seasons. :-)

Bonus: Share a favorite winter pick-me-up. A recipe, an activity, or whatever.

When the thermometer hovers around zero and the snow flies and the wind blows, it is awful if one has to go to work or other necessary places. But I admit, being the coach potato that I basically am, I like being warm, curling up on the couch with a good book, a cup of soup and an afghan. Or maybe warming up the house by baking. Or watching videos. I like being inside as I watch the snow outside.

14 comments:

Sally said...

That is a great photo- but wow it is sooo cold there. We are heading for spring here. As for having 3 favourite seasons- sounds sensible to me- so does curling up on the couch with a book!
Great 5 thank you, hope the computer recovers soon!

Gannet Girl said...

MINUS SIX???????

I would die.

Thank you for the reminder to find SOMETHING good about winter.

chartreuseova said...

I usually don't mind shoveling snow, but this season I'm saying "Enough Already!"

I've even resorted to using (well trying to use)the snow blower.

In the winter, I like Summer best...In the Summer I'll probably say I prefer Winter.

Rev. Sharon said...

Nice Friday 5, ma'am--and I hope your computer woes, etc. ease off on you!

Althea N. Agape said...

hmmmm I might need to warm up the house by baking....

I'm thinking, to of a big pot of chili but I'd have to stick my nose out in the cold to go to the store...

thanks for a great Friday Five and I hope you get your mechanical brain functioning again!

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

yep that's pretty much the view here too... although *jaw dropping gasp* the sun made an appearance today!

RevAnne said...

It's cold at your house! It's way warmer at my house, and I'm still too cold...hope the computer issues aren't too severe

Unknown said...

As a Southern transplant to New England, I hear you about the length of winter!

Lori said...

I was going to play Friday Five, but got some really bad news today. Just stopping by and was sure enjoying your winter picture.

Though I must agree with you on the length of the winters. I toured with Covenant Players through Minnesota, Wisconsin, Ohio and Indiana for quite a while, so I remember wishing for spring in March as well.

Anonymous said...

Yes, we're sending more snow your way :)

I have three favorite seasons too, (summer is not one of them, though). Although, after this winter, I may have to change my mind...

leah said...

i also love the picture, maybe especially because of the screen! your questions were exactly where i had to search my heart and sort of like you, in many ways i'm ambivalent about winter, and there is something really fun about dressing up in layers to go out into the snow. be blessed!

LoieJ said...

Interesting that when I lived in Minneapolis I found that spring came earlier than at my Mom's house, which is near to you. But maybe the big lake retarded the weather.

Crimson Rambler said...

snowing like nobody's business here and the thermometer dropping steadily. Brrrr. Dear Owl, I hope today was a good day despite tears; I hope the computer has pulled itself together and is cooperating; and I hope you are having a terrific Sunday afternoon nap!

net said...

(((((Singing Owl)))))