Please pardon me for talking about church in the summer when many of you may be on vacation. However, the church we are talking about today is the one you dream of. Tell us five things that the perfect church would have, be, do...whatever.We can dream, right?
ONLY five? Yah, yah...okay...
1. The perfect church has all kinds of music. This means there is a humongous pipe organ, and a piano, and drums, keyboard, guitars, percussion, brass. They sing "A Mighty Fortress is Our God" and they sing praise choruses too (GOOD ones. No "Jesus is my boyfriend...me me me me me...choruses). Once in a while they sing camp meeting songs like "I'll Fly Away" or "Pentecostal Power." There are choirs, a handbell choir, great ensembles, an excellent and rockin' band. Oh yeah, my perfect church has it all and no one complains about music style. Ever!
2. People believe the best about each other. They refuse to gossip or to jump on a negative bandwagon. They never lose hope in the ability of God's grace to transform the human heart...theirs and others as well, so they can believe, trust, and hope as they walk with their fellows.
3. Of course, in this church there is freedom to explore, and that includes making mistakes without fear or guilt. Mistakes are understood to be part of life. There is no condemnation. Correction? Yep. But no condemnation.
4. People are always awake, alert, engaged, and they are not afraid to say "Amen!" when the preacher is doing a really good job. (It goes without saying that the preacher in the perfect church always does a superb job.)
5. The perfect church welcomes, accepts, forgives, affirms, challenges....anyone and I mean anyone is welcome and valued and encouraged to become Jesus' disciple and find their gifts. Of course, there are never but never limitations based on looks, gender, race etc.
Only five. Only five!