Friday, March 02, 2007

The Friday Five -- Artsy Craftsy


Over at the Rev Gals and Pals blog, Reverend Mother says, "During Lent here at Suburban Presbyterian Church, we are exploring the creative and liturgical arts, with classes and speakers dealing with storytelling, iconography, dance, visual art, writing, and so on. The theme is "A Beautiful Thing," inspired by the story of the woman anointing Jesus and his declaration that "She has done a beautiful thing for me." (Mark 14, NIV) We are working on the notion that everything we do can be considered a beautiful thing--a creative offering to God--whether it's gardening or scrapbooking or accounting or sorting clothes at the clothes closet or child-rearing. And so: ..."

1. Would you call yourself "creative"? Why or why not?

Yes, because creativity is many things. If I was asked if I'm "artsy craftsy" I would say an emphatic no. I am all thumbs when it comes to quilting or making crafts, or sewing, or crocheting, or painting delicate little patterns, etc. But I like to write, both prose and poetry, and I have composed songs too, though not recently. And I also like to paint, and I like to think of new ways to do things.

2. Share a creative or artistic pursuit you currently do that you'd like to develop further.

I'd like to take a painting class. I don't currently do it, but I have both painted and unpainted canvases in the basement, and if I had time I'd love to set up an easel in the spare room. I'm not saying I'd paint a masterpiece. But it was very fun and relaxing for me.

3. Share a creative or artistic pursuit you have never done but would like to try.

I would like to learn to make stained glass. I almost took a class a couple of years ago, but it was too expensive for my pastoral budget. I love color, and creating something colorful and beautiful is very appealing.

4. Complete this sentence: "I am in awe of people who can draw so that it actually comes out looking like something ."

5. Share about a person who has encouraged your creativity, who has "called you to your best self." (I'm pretty sure that's from the Gospel of Oprah.)

My sister. She sang with me, read to me, made me go to the library, helped me write, encouraged me in absolutely anything I did.

P.S. I'll be going to Seattle in a couple of days. If you read my posts about my California visit, you know my sister has Alzheimers. She is rapidly growing worse, more aggresive, more "lost" and beginning not to know her loved ones. It will soon be time to find a place for her, and my brother in law has asked for my help. I owe more than I can say to her love and support. I dread doing this, but I am asking God to help me see it as possibly my last time to bless her in any way. Prayers gratfully appreciated.

8 comments:

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

Oh, what a hard thing to face. You have my prayers, for sure, as does her husband.

zorra said...

Yes, prayers for the three of you.

revhipchick said...

many prayers for all of you.

blessings.

net said...

Got your back! Prayers ascending!

much2ponder said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
much2ponder said...

This woman is artsy and filled with creativity! She has a good eye for color and design and though I have not seen her create anything material, I have witnesses her ability to create wonderful tapestries arrayed with indescribable hues of gorgeous color as she paints the imprint of His love upon the hearts of her parishioners one stroke at a time.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Wow! ((((m2p)))))

Sally said...

prayers are with you