Friday, December 28, 2007

An "Auld Lang Syne" Friday Five

It is hard to believe, but 2007 is about to be history, and this is our last Friday Five of the year. With that in mind, share five memorable moments of 2007. These can be happy or sad, profound or silly, good or bad but things that you will remember. Bonus points for telling us of a "God sighting"-- a moment when the light came through the darkness, a word was spoken, a song sung, laughter rang out, a sermon spoke to you in a new way--whatever you choose, but a moment in 2007 when you sensed Emmanuel, God with us. Or more particularly, with you.

1. I am sure this will surprise no one, but the first one has to be what happened on January 7th. I rushed to Minneapolis, rushed to Kris' house, rushed to the hospital, and in a disconcertingly short time I watched little Trinity Ann come into the world, red faced, yelling, black hair stuck to her head, sucking her fist. And capturing my heart totally. I became one of the annoying people called a grandparent! The picture was last February.

2. Another memorable moment was sitting in the cemetary at St. Norbert's Abbey Church, watching the sun set, listening to honking geese as they passed in formation overhead, pondering life and being struck anew with the reality that someday I won't be above ground and I deeply want my time here to count for something eternal. It was not a sad moment. It was an awakening kind of moment.

3. My mom's stroke, on my birthday, during a trip to see "the kids" in Minneapolis. We were far from home, it was scary, and I knew things would change. It has been a difficult time watching her deteriorate, and seeing her become angry, combative, ever more lost in the fog.

4. Sitting in a newly painted and decorated prayer room at church, silently waiting for God, and welcoming the presence of my friends in the faith who sat in candlelight and prepared to pray. I am SO glad this walk of faith is not always a lonely one. Sometimes, but not always.

5. Tasting sushi and finding I liked it!

And the "God moment" was at the Nashotah House chapel while I was at Cedarly Pastor's Retreat in Delavan, Wisconsin. I will never forget sharing liturgy and the eucharist with Episcopalian seminarians, and the sweet sense of God's presence. I stayed in the chapel for a long while after everyone left, while tears fell and I wondered why. I still don't know what was happening. I just know something was. I want to go back there sometime.

That was kind of serious, wasn't it? Well, it has been a mostly serious kind of year. Except for when it wasn't. :-)

15 comments:

Rev SS said...

Love the picture of you and grandbaby .. and there's nothing wrong with serious (as long as you keep your sense of humor too) Here's to a blessed new year!

Lori said...

I can relate to #2 with you.

And that is the sweetest baby!

Seriously. ;)

Cathy said...

I agree with PG on #2 also - it's the sense of immortality and wanting to make a difference while here.

Really found your answers diverse and interesting. And, like so many of my friends, the joy of a grandchild!

Diane M. Roth said...

wow, I love your God moment, who knows why? thanks for this friday five.

Nina Reeder said...

My prayers are with you and your mom. Been there, done that, and you know what - for all its challenges, heartaches, and exhaustion - I actually treasure the t-shirt. Blessings for a joyous New Year.

Terri said...

Singing Owl, what a year you had! Praying 2008 is great!

RevDrKate said...

Sweet baby! Wonderful answers.
Blessed new year to you.

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

It is so hard to see ones parents lose the vitality of life we remember them having. Prayers for understanding and wisdom. Thanks for hosting today.

revhipchick said...

i too love the picture of you and the beautiful Trinity.

a terrific play--thanks for sharing all of those moments with us.

blessings

Gannet Girl said...

I LOVE number 2 ~

Barbara B. said...

I can relate -- My mom had a stroke when we were all in Cancun. It was so stressful trying to get back to the U.S. for medical care.

What a beautiful baby!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful play. And thanks for this Friday Five. Love the grandbaby, you annonying Grandparent you. So glad you shared your God moments. Sorry about your mom. Hope it is a great new year!

Betsy Whaley said...

Thanks for sharing yourself. I can relate to the part about the tears falling and you don't know why but you know that it's a holy moment. Blessings in the coming new year.

Muthah+ said...

Thanks for the post. write me. revlagough at aol dot com.

zorra said...

What a year! Is it hard to believe Trinity Ann is almost one?

Praying for you today.