Friday, January 09, 2009

Friday Five: Pancakes

This is the first Friday Five I've been able to post for a while. This week, Sophia writes, "...It's time for something light and fluffy (literally). ..So pull up a chair to the kitchen table and tell us all about your pancake preferences."

1. Scratch or mix? Buttermilk or plain?

I usually use Bisquick buttermilk pancake mix, which is just flour with the salt, baking soda and powder in it already. I've tried totally scratch and found I like Bisquick (or Jiffy) better.

2. Pure and simple, or with additions cooked in?

Both! Plain is yummy, but so are the additions of peaches, strawberries, and so on. Sometimes when we are playing Bearded Eagle and SingingOwl we get authentic and go for buckwheat pancakes. Don't tell, but they are much better with some regular flour added...

3. For breakfast or for dinner?

Either one!

4. Preferred syrup or other topping? How about the best side dish?

My son in law introduced me to peanut butter on pancakes. I like it. My preferred topping most of the time is real Wisconsin maple syrup. I also like strawberries and whipped cream. Mmmm!

5. Favorite pancake restaurant?

I really like the whole grain pancakes at the International House of Pancakes. Since there is no IHOP for at least 40 miles, I'll tell you that if you can go for french toast instead of pancakes, well, come visit and I'll take you to Just Otto's at the Osthoff Resort and treat you to the most fabulous french toast ever. Cream cheese and orange....wonderful stuff!

4 comments:

LA Nickers said...

I'm a waffle gal myself . . . not with issues, but certainly for breakfast. 8-)


Blessings,
Linda

HEART OF A READY WRITER – Reading Through the Bible in 2009

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

I am amazed at how many people mentioned peanut butter on pancakes--I never heard or thought of that!

You are so right about the IHOP harvest grain pancakes--I'm sorry you can't get them more often.

Lori said...

I bet you would've loved my dad's peanut butter-in-the-pancakes!

That waffle house sounds very enticing!

ktjhawk said...

peaches?! A favorite fruit, but I've never combined them with pancakes. I'll have to give it try.