Friday, June 04, 2010

The Rev Gal Friday Five: Patience

Trying to get back in the swing of blogging, here is my first Friday Five in a very long time.  It is brief, but it is here.  :-)   It comes from Sally, who is looking over her beautiful garden and pondering patience.  She says,

"Patience is something that sometimes comes easy and sometimes doesn't, in the case of the garden it is easy, I can see the growth and know that waiting will produce good results. With other things patience is more difficult.  Along with looking forward to eating our own veggies, we are also looking forward to seeing four of our children graduate with Bachelors degrees this year, they have worked hard over the three years and stuck at it through some difficult stuff. It would have been easy for them to give up, but they haven't. Persistence often pays off, but we need to be aware that it sometimes turns into sheer pig headedness."

With all that in mind, she offers this Friday Five:

1. Is patience a virtue you possess? If it is then does it come naturally, if not how do you/ did you work at it?

Yes and no. When if comes to people, hoping for improvement, growth, etc. I am very patient.  When it comes to situation...not so much.  I find, oddly enough, that I am less patient the older I get.  I thought it would be the other way around.

2. Being patient with ourselves can be a huge challenge, we are often our own worst critics; is there anything you need to be patient with yourself with at the moment?

About a dozen things.  I have mild cerebral palsy which was caused from being premature.  Many people don't know unless they pay attention, but it does cause me to have vision problems as well as being basically clumsy!  This is getting worse, and causing me concern...and if I fall, as I did recently, even though I (of course) would choose otherwise, I tend to get mad at myself and figure I was just careless.  I need to cut myself slack--but that is true in a lot of ways, not just one.  I don't know why I can be patient with just about everyone but myself.

3. Are you the kind of person who can/ will persist with a difficult task? How much of this is personality related?

Depends on the task.  Math problem?  No way!  Something that I really need to do, yes.  But I can't say it is enjoyable.
4. Can you spot when persistence turns into pig headedness, or do you never get there?

Ha!  I think I am never pig headed.  Seriously.  My husband would say otherwise.

5. Post a song or a poem that chills you out and helps you to re-group, re-focus and carry on? Okay, this is a really bad version of this song, but I used to sing it to my kiddos and I still do...to myself. Not all the verses, just the chorus.

Have patience, have patience,
Don't be in such a hurry
When you get impatient,
You only start to worry.
Remember, remember,
That God is patient too,
And think of all the times when others
Had to wait....for you.



Hmmm...that is about being patient with others.  Where is a song about being patient with ME?

2 comments:

Processing Counselor said...

I have a spinal cord injury and tend to fall easily, which is frustrating and embarrassing and feels like my fault. Most of the time you would not know except for my cane which I mostly use outside, my disability is invisible to most.
I loved your post and I really like the look of your blog! Welcome back.

Jeni said...

Over the years, I have often said -using the phrase you quoted -"Patience is a virtue but I am not always a very virtuous person." And it's true. My son loves to tease me in front of the grandkids -his niece and nephews -that the person they see and hear in me is not the same person who raised him. And yes, that is true, ten-fold because patience as the grandchildren see in me a lot these days, often seemed non-existent when my own children where growing up. What patience I have today I credit my grandkids -especially the two little ones -as being responsible for my attaining what patience I have today. (Still not near enough but a whole lot more than I had oh, 20-30 years ago, that's for sure!) See -we do keep on learning these things long after many think the learning process has ended, don't we?