Friday, July 23, 2010

A Decision-Making Friday Five


It has been a while since I've played a Friday Five. Since I'm soon going to start hosting one time a month again I'd better get in the swing of things! Songbird shares an easy one today. She says:


Since I've been in the midst of a discernment process, I've done a lot of reflecting on how we make decisions. But don't worry, I'm not going to ask you to reveal a dark story about a poor decision, or a self-flagellating story about an embarrassing one. Let's keep it simple and go with five word pairs. Tell us which word in the pair appeals to you most, and after you've done all five, give us the reason why for one of them.

Here they are:
1) Cake or Pie
Pie
2) Train or Airplane
Train
3) Mac or PC
PC
4) Univocal or Equivocal
Equivocal
5) Peter or Paul
Paul
Just one? If you have seen any of my Friday Fives over the years, you know I do not do well with "just one." Okay, I'll be obedient. Maybe.

Train or plane...first response was train. I had to think of why. Nowadays, though I have always loved to fly, airports and air travel are stressful, full of extra and annoying fees, overcrowded planes, delays, and so on. Train...ah...evocative of an earlier era. I rode on a train from Los Angeles, California to Abilene, Texas when I was only three years old. The sad reason for the trip (me and my mom) was that my grandmother was gravely ill. I do have dim memories of being frightened when I saw her in the big bed in the hosptial room (painted a horrid minty color I still recall). Grandmother about to die is my only memory of her. Too bad. But I also have memories of the train. There was a dining car with white tableclothes and a dark brown man in a white coat who brought me a glass of milk. There were intereting seats. People. A tiny place to curl up and sleep at night with Mommy.

Trains make me think of travel across Europe (will I ever get to fulfill that dream?) and a more relaxed time when the journey was part of the fun. I'd love to take a trip on a train to somewhere lovely and exciting, reading a book, watching the world go by, chatting with a good friend who has come along with me, and anticipating the arrival.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

It was supposed to be a relief, not a limit! Thanks for the great train story.

Muthah+ said...

OK, I think we all have fantasies of riding on the Orient Express. At one point I wanted to do the Trans-Siberian trip but the Trans-Canada was enough. It was a beautiful trip, the food marvelous but the ride was horrible and it was 12 hrs late!

Hey, I really like your new picture

Rev SS said...

used to love riding the train .. two awesome trips when I was a teen ... from Iowa to D. C. and from Iowa to L.A. ... makes me want to do another

chartreuseova said...

I've never traveled by train, but I do not like air travel.

I guess my brain is still asleep because I read # 5 and my immediate response was "neither Peter or Paul, I wanna chose Mary". And after I realized we're talking New Testament folks, I still want to chose one of the Marys.

Weekend Fisher said...

I'd have to pick Peter, though; I'm the hot-headed one who thinks before speaking, too often. :)

Take care & God bless
Anne / WF

seethroughfaith said...

trains in Finland are GOOD :)

DavidM said...

In the mid 1990's, Ron Auch and I flew into Munich, stayed the weekend with some friends/family of mine and then took the train from Munich to Budapest. We had a private cabin - spacious compared to a plane and we traveled through bavaria, austria and into hungary. Brings back good memories!