Monday, August 28, 2006

Easing Back Into the Blog

Many things have been happening, and I have had no time to blog. Thanks, Rev Abi, for tagging me for this meme--to extol the God-prints in my life. It is just the ticket to get me thinking about what is valuable.

1. A friend who has blessed me:

I can't mention just one...let me think...

Loretta Q., a beautiful Navajo/Hopi who was my buddy all through junior high and high school.
Pat M., who was my friend when no one else wanted to be, and who in a roundabout way led me to my future husband.
Maggie from Maryland, who prayed and encouraged and laughed with me.
Ruthie H. who helped me think and see in new ways and who led me to CBE.
Many cyber-buddies who have enriched my life, TL, Dr. Platypus, Jeannie, Galina, the Rev Gals and more.
Pat (much2ponder), who is my sister-in-Christ, my friend, tells me the truth, and loves me.

And many more.

One who is coming to mind right now is my old neighbor, George B. George, are you out there somewhere? I moved away at age 11, but before that we were companions in many make-believe adventures. We turned an old chicken coop into a house, a hideout, a ship, a dungon, a teepee, a fort, and more. We played cowboys and indians, pirates, Robin Hood, school, Hansel and Gretel....George was a sweet, smart and funny boy who was belittled and not valued much at home. I loved him and I missed him when we moved away, and I've never forgotten that he never made fun of me, never made me feel inferior and never took joy in someone else's pain. I hope he grew up to marry a lovely woman who saw his value and his good heart. He would be about 55 or so now. How strange!

2. An unexpected gift:

My husband and my family. There was a time I thought I'd never find anyone.

3. A kind word shared with me recently:

All the comments to my "Juxtaposition" post below.

4. Something that makes me stop and praise God:

Music. And nature--sunshine, birdsong, the smell of grass, flowers, frost--sometimes even snow.

5. Something I’m looking forward to:

That is easy! The birth of my first grandchild, Trinity Ann, due January 2nd. More about that in a future post.

6. A particular part of me I’m pleased with:

That is hard. I'm not pleased with much about me. I'll say...my joy in being alive, learning new things, seeing new things, thinking in new ways.

7. Something in my life I wanted but never expected:

To be a pastor.

8. A place that moved/moves me:

The mountains. I grew up surrounded by them, and I miss them greatly. I love being in mountains, and I actually feel physically and emotionally better when I'm several thousand feet up. I don't see mountains often, but they actually can make me teary-eyed. One of my devotions in "Ordinary Time" (see sidebar) is about that. I'll post it when the time comes.

9. One thing/person that always makes me smile:

It used to be my sister. Now she is a victim of Alzheimers, and thinking of her makes me cry instead.

Nancy, a woman at my church, always makes me smile. She is full of joy, even in adversity. She cries easily, but she smiles easily too, and her smile lights up the room.

10. Most recent “love note” from God:

I have a hard time recognizing those. See number 6. I know that God is sending them to me all the time. A song...nature...a sense of God's presence in worship...people.

And now it’s my turn to tag: You feel like playing? Go for it, and let me know.

Thanks, Abi, for helping to turn my thoughts upward.

4 comments:

Rachel Nguyen said...

I played!

Unknown said...

Oh Dear friend, you have such sorrow right now.

I had a hard time thinking of what I was pleased with myself as well.
Know that you are still in my prayers and thoughts, and God is still sending you love notes!

Anonymous said...

*clears throat*
*starts singing*

Welcome back, your dreams were your ticket out.
Welcome back to that same old place that you laughed about.
Well the names have all changed since you hung around,
But those dreams have remained and they’re turned around.



Who’d have thought they’d lead ya (Who’d have thought they’d lead ya)
Back here where we need ya (Here where we need ya)



Yeah we tease her a lot cause we’ve got her on the spot,
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back, welcome back.
*stops singing*

Hope your time away was what you needed.

Nightmare

Anonymous said...

I'm blessed to be mentioned!! You are an inspiration to me in many ways. Not the least of which is you listening when I asked you, lo these many years ago, if you were an egalitarian (or words to that effect) and asked the questions that I had answers for. I always like it when I have answers!!