Friday, August 27, 2010

Dorm Life Fridy Five

Yesterday Songbird returned her middle child for his second year of college and some of what she saw there got her thinking about dorm life. Here are her questions for todays RevGalBlogPals Friday Five.

) What was the hardest thing to leave behind when you went away to school for the first time?
I didn't go very far. I moved in with my sister who lived about an hour's drive away from my house. What I left behind was a comfortable bed!

2) We live in the era of helicopter parents. How much fuss did your parents make when you first left home?
None. That is because, sadly, my family was disintegrating and was in so much upheaval that me heading off to school was a minor blip. My poor dad, who was probably close to a total breakdown, was probably releived. Not happy memories.

3) Share a favorite memory of living with schoolmates, whether in a dorm or other shared housing.
I never lived in a dorm. I left school and got married, and then later both Ken and I returned at the same time so we lived in married couples housing, us and our two small children. But those were, looking back, delightful times. The kids were totally safe and all ran up and down the little street lined with mobile homes with impunity. We made wonderful friends and had good times.

4) What absolute necessity of college life in your day would seem hilariously out-of-date now?
HA! My cassette player?

5) What innovation of today do you wish had been part of your life in college? Computers. Small computers, not PCs yet, were new. No one had one. A laptop would have been heaven. And how much easier to type and produce neat papers with a computer and printer instead of our clunky typewriter!

Bonus question for those whose college days feel like a long time ago: Share a rule or regulation that will seem funny now. Did you really follow it then? Doesn't just feel like a long time ago, it WAS a long time ago. LOL! As for the regulation, NO JEANS! Imagine no denim on a campus? Yes, I followed it, or I would have been in trouble. Oh, maybe I should mention the NO PUBLIC DISPLAY of affection rule at our strict church-sponsored college. Ken and I flouted that one regularly. I mean, that even meant no hand holding. We were married, and Ken pointed that out to one prissy prof.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the idea of a young, married couple breaking the PDA rule!

revhipchick said...

i'm with Martha! i love thinking about a young couple reminding the prof that they were married and it was appropriate to be loving!