Friday, April 20, 2007

Friday Five

Rev Gal's Songbird offers this Friday Five.

Jesus said to them, "Children, you have no fish, have you?" They answered him, "No."He said to them, "Cast the net to the right side of the boat, and you will find some." So they cast it, and now they were not able to haul it in because there were so many fish. That disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, "It is the Lord!" When Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he put on some clothes, for he was naked, and jumped into the sea. (John 21:5-7)

Weeping may linger for the night, but joy comes with the morning. (Psalm 30:5b)

This weekI've been watching parents of the young people slain at Virgina Tech trying to make meaning out of the lives of their lost children, and each one seems to begin by focusing on something joyful about that child. It's a gift that most humans have brains wired to respond in that way. For some of us it can be harder to work our way out of dark places, but I believe joy remains the key. It is the spirit of resurrection. Tell us about five people, places, or things that have brought surprising, healing joy into your life.

This Friday Five is a quick one for me because I am posting from a motel lobby. This is difficult for me to answer, because it is a challenge to narrow it down to just five.

1. Trinity Ann
This has been a sad year for me. I am dealing with my mother's slow and steady decline, the horrifying and wrenching loss of my vital, brilliant sister to the ravages of Alzheimers, and the dawning realization that some things I long to accomplish probably will not happen. In the midst of, at times, nearly overwhelming sadness this last week, I looked at Easter photos of our new little grandbaby, Trinity Ann. She is a bright spot of joy and hope, and I thank God so much for her, and my dear daughter and her husband! I'll post the picture when I get home.

2. Animals
Small, but lovely moments of joy can come to me watching my mother's little cat, stroking my daughter's big dog, Rex, watching the birds and squirrels, etc. A visit to the zoo is in order, I think, now that I consider this one.

3. Friends
There are three who are an unfailing blessing, willing to pray, to listen, to laugh or weep as the occasion demands.

4. Spring!
It has arrived! The snow is gone. The birds are happy. So am I. I awoke this morning to the loud call of a kingfisher. Much2Ponder, I thought of you.

5. Music
What would I do without it? Classical, southern rock, praise and worship, bluegrass, hymns, gospel. Music certainly has power to soothe this particular "savage beast.'

4 comments:

Iris said...

Thank you, Singing Owl!

Unknown said...

Blessings to little Trinity Ann, a joy indeed!

Sally said...

How wonderful that you have Trinity Ann to make you smile. And what would we be without music?
Great play. Peace and blessings.
Sally

Jeni said...

Very good list. Such stark comparisons though with the pain of watching your mother, your sister, both in losing battles and then, having the little granddaughter to love and cherish -not to replace but to rebuild around two very important women in your life. A door closes, another opens though sometimes we don't always see the "opening" side for everything it brings nor do we view the closing one for things it does actually offer us too.