Monday, February 04, 2008

A Little Mahalia Jackson

The late great Mahalia Jackson was among my sister Darlaine's favorite singers. I wish I could have found a clip of "Walkin' in Jerusalem" (a song about walking, talking and singing high up in "Jerusalem" after we die) but this one is a good substitute. It takes me back years ago to Sunday mornings at her house as we blasted gospel music and sang or danced along while we got ready for church. One line in this song used to make my sister smile. It's the one about joining the heavenly choir where we can "sing and never get tired."

The clip is rather poor quality--but oh that voice--!

5 comments:

nightmare said...

Mahalia Jackson had some awesome pipes.

Anonymous said...

I think I'll listen to Mahalia on my iTunes today in Darlaine's memory.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

DP, that made me smile! :-D

I recommend Move on Up a Little HIgher along with Walkin' in Jerusalem. I like MJ's upbeat songs better than the slower ones, though it is the slow ones where she tunes her usual alto voice to those amazing high and clear notes.

My "greatest hits" is on the stereo right now...and I finally cried as I sang along.

I loved picturing my tiny little blye-eyed freckle-faced sister singing with all her might along with large, dark Mahalia. I think in Heaven Darlaine will look about 18. Her senior picture was beautiful. She had huge blue eyes and a mass of dark wavy hair. Of course, all such images are probably so much hooey. Doesn't matter. :-)

Music is SUCH a blessing! And even tears, I suppose.

NE/ME said...

Music is such a blessing. I am listening to Gospel music right now. I can picture you and your sister singing when you were young. That is a blessings - the memories.