Friday, February 22, 2008

A Heavenly Friday Five


I am in Seattle assisting with family stuff and preparing to attend a memorial service (Saturday) for my sister who died of complications of early-onset Alzheimer's disease. I am not grieving much, since the shock and tears and goodbyes and losses have been many and have occurred for a long time now. I am mostly relieved that my wonderful sister and best friend is free from pain and confusion, and I am thinking of eternity. That sounds somber, but I don't mean it to be. I decided to have a little fun with the idea. So how about we share five "heavenly" things? These can be serious or funny or a combination of the two.

What is your idea of a heavenly (i.e. wonderful and perfect) :

1. Family get-together

All the family will be there. That includes those who have passed on, but also present ones. That way my grandfather could meet his new great great granddaughter, Trinity. We will be at his home in Texas, like in days long past. We will eat perfect fried chicken with all the southern side dishes. We'll finish with my grandmother's pecan pie, and none of it will have calories. There will be music and singing and games and laughter. We will have time to talk with everyone. There will be NO mosquito's and no chiggers!

2. Song or musical piece

That will be a large choir, singing in a cathedral with wonderful acoustics and beautiful surroundings. There will be a pipe organ, but also drums. The music will be written and directed by my friend, Psalmist, who will have become a famous composer.

3. Gift

Homemade but beautiful. Doesn't matter what it is.

4. You choose whatever you like-food, pair of shoes, vacation, house, or something else. Just tell us what it is and what a heavenly version of it would be.

How about a heavenly makeover. Let's see. I'll weigh 135. I will have no wrinkles and no turkey neck. I'll be a wonderful singer who can preach with such power that people all know God is present. I will not have glasses but 20\20 vision, no bunions or walking problems, be graceful, organized, patient, loving, and creative. Ah, that's a makeover. And I'll get a manicure and a pedicure and a great massage as part of the deal.

5. And for a serious moment, or what would you like your entrance into the next life to be like?
What, from your vantage point now, would make Heaven "heavenly?"

Being with God will be joy "unspeakable and full of glory." Besides that I will enjoy love without misunderstanding and miscommunication. The earth will be new, beautiful as only God could create, without the messes we have made. I hope my dog, Cassie, will bark a greeting as she sees me coming, and I hope we really will be able to pet a lion. People who have gone before me will watch for me, and there will joy all around as we get to know one another again. And creativity, the joy of discovery, work to do, worship without earthly restraints and limitations--and my sister and I will talk like we used to, only better.

I am not sure how much time I'll have on my BIL's computer, but will read as many responses as I can, and I'll look forward to reading others when I get home next week.

20 comments:

Rev SS said...

Sorry for your loss. Blessings as you celebrate your sister's life and love.

j said...

Games and guilt-free food wee at my heavenly family gathering, too!

Many prayers on your loss. Peace!

Lori said...

"Unspeakable and full of glory" is exactly what I hope for as well.

Blessings on you and your family at this time.

I'm Molly said...

amen to no chiggers!

Processing Counselor said...

May your sister rest in peace in the heaven or your creation!

Diane M. Roth said...

yes, may your sister rest in peace! lovely play, Singing Owl. Especialy (of course) liked about the dog, but the makeover's pretty good good :)

Cathy said...

I am sorry to hear of the loss of your sister. I know she has been suffering from Alzheimer's for some time. May light perpetual shine upon her.

Law+Gospel said...

It sounds great! And I think we all struggle trying to quantify something too vast to believe, but full of glory for sure! And I am sure your sister is thrilling in it all! Peace be with you.

Unknown said...

That was awesome!

Your sister will be in my thoughts.

Kathryn said...

That was such a lovely Friday Five - and a real tribute to your sister that her death should inspire a gift to others like that.
Praying for her, and for you and yours

Jennifer said...

Thanks for a lovely Friday Five.
A perfect tribute to your sister, healed and whole.

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

Loved the perfect makeover...and adding the drums. Perfect.

revhipchick said...

a heavenly makeover is wonderful--could i have one too?

your tribute to your sister has blessed us all--thank you.

peace, blessings, and strength

Deb said...

no more loss or pain... and no wrinkles! wow. I'm in.

Praying for you in your extended loss - and that the memories of your sister in her better days will permeate your heart!

Deb

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

"love without misunderstanding and miscommunication"... oh Siniging Owl... you have the powerful sermon in you already! live it. breathe it. sing it...

grace & compassion to you.

Sally said...

((((singing Owl)))) prayers for th many good memories to warm your heart.

NE/ME said...

Thank you for sharing your Heavenly Friday Five. I echo - "love without misunderstanding or miscommunication" - that would be heaven indeed. Blessings to you and your family.

Ruby said...

I hope your memories bring you great comfort.

much2ponder said...

Praying for you (((((((((Pastor)))))))), you are loved.

Psalmist said...

Dear sister, you're in my prayers.

What a sweet thing for you to say about the music! What a cheerleader you've been to me through the years!

((((((((((Singing Owl))))))))))))