Friday, February 27, 2009

Friday Five: A Fork in the Road


I am at a life-changing juncture. I do not know which way I will go, but I have been thinking about the times, people and events that changed my life (for good or ill) in significant ways. For today's Friday Five, I asked the Rev Gals and Pals to share with us five "fork-in-the-road" events, or persons, or choices. And how did life change after these forks in the road?

Choosing only five was very difficult. Here are mine:

1. I attended a California private high school. Our school did not have a "Driver's Training" class, but taking the class lowered insurance costs. So I went with a classmate and friend to her boyfriend's high school so we could enroll for the summer class. Her boyfriend had a friend. They introduced us. I married him (four years later). What if I had decided to just pay the extra cash? Wow! So here we are, 37 years later.

2. My Marine husband and I moved from Camp Pendleton, California to Camp Lejeune in Jacksonville, North Carolina. I never thought I would be anything but Southern Baptist, but we ended up, through a chain of events, doing something I NEVER thought I would do. We visited First Assembly of God, Jacksonville. I found out that there were actually women preachers in the world. And here I am.

3. I attended Rev. Rosa Mae Wead's class, "Women in Ministry." I thought it was for people who were going to be pastor's wives. I was wrong. "Sister Wead" challenged me, the Holy Spirit challenged me too...there was no going back. And here I am.

4. Okay this one is personal. I decided that lovemaking "just once" without using my usual birth control method would do no harm. (I was married, but only for three months.) Our daughter Kris was the result. (Ask me about why I think using a condom is NOT safe sex.) We freakied out--but we managed. What a joy our daughter (and now HER daughter) has been.

5. Ten years ago I answered the phone and spoke to a nice woman deacon who asked, "Would you like to preach at our church as a fill-in while we look for a pastor?" And here I am--for two more weeks anyway!

20 comments:

Sally said...

Love this Singing Owl, esp # 1& 4

Auntie Knickers said...

Great play, I'm comforted to know that others make quick decisions that turn out fine....

Anonymous said...

This is great-- it's so nice to be reminded of the way gorgeous things are unexpected.

Gannet Girl said...

Lots of "And here I am!"

Yep - who ever knows?

altar ego said...

Sometimes the unexpected forks bring the greatest blessings. I'm glad your junction provided this thoughtful Friday for us all. Prays for you as you weigh choices and make decisions.

Rev Dr Mom said...

This is a great F5...thanks!

Choralgrrl said...

Thanks for a great F5. Your number 4 made me grin.

And as for the reason behind today's play...you're in my prayers. Peace!

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

Wonderful FF and wonderful play, Singing Owl.

I grinned at your number 4 too--and thought of the fact that it took us precisely five months of unprotected lovemaking to conceive 4 kids!

Betsy said...

Great F5! Amazing, in retrospect, how often the forks are not carefully thought out and rationally weighed decisions, but those quick moments in which we make a choice.

Prayers for your current "fork" which does not appear to be the sudden sort; either way, it's always good to know the Spirit has our back!

LoieJ said...

We are often at forks but don't know that we are choosing or we let others chose for us.

DogBlogger said...

Wow, what a great play! And thanks for coming up with such a good Friday Five to share with all of us.

Barbara B. said...

Rev. Rosa Mae Wead must have had quite a class! :)

Thanks for the F5.

Rev R Marszalek said...

This is fantastic - thank you and so helpful for me because all of the paperwork that I have to return to my DDO in three weeks asks me for my significant life moments.

I hope everything works out for you.
God bless
Rachel

Rev Honey said...

I'll pledge to pray for the next 30 days at least :). Are you engaged in some sort of search process for a new church?

Lori said...

#1 and #4 would be your dinner fork and your dessert fork I think, you fertile Myrtle, you.
:)

Diane M. Roth said...

I love all of them, especially about your honesty about your daughter ;). and about how you got to be a pastor!!

Rev SS said...

Wonderful F5 .. I so resonate with the "And here I am!" Prayers that God does it again!

Jules said...

This is lovely. Thank you for such a great F5!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing part of your journey with us. And thanks especially for such a thought-provoking Friday Five!

Deb said...

Amazing how God's leading ends with "and here I am!" LOL

peace to you in your final weeks at your present church -- AND JOY for what God will do!

deb