Friday, February 06, 2009

Friday Five: Favorite Things

My nephew's wife, my late sister and mother, with me, by a sparkling stream in the Cascade Mountains of Washington.


Songbird, one of our beloved matriarchs over at Rev Gals hosts the Friday Five today. She says:

In a week of wondering how various things in our family life will unfold, I found myself thinking of the way Maria comforted the Von Trapp children in one of my favorite movies. Frightened by a thunder storm, the children descend upon her, and she sings to them about her favorite things, taking their minds off the storm.So, let's encourage ourselves. Share with us five of your favorite things. Use words or pictures, whatever expresses it best.

1. Sunlight! It probably was significant that my first word was "light." I am so happy that the days are growing a little longer, and even though it is still bitterly cold the longer rays of sunlight in the evening and the increased warmth of sun rays (like when sitting in a vehicle) makes me feel so much better. You can take the girl outta California, but you can't take the California outta da girl!

2. Music! My son, Josh, brought a large number of CDs for me to put on my IPOD. I am grinning as I look through his collection because he is like me--has the most amazingly eclectic collection of music. All the way from Frank Sinatra to Dylan to Coldplay to Third Day. I love to sing, love to listen to classical, jazz, rock, blues, folk, hymns, contemporary Christian...what a marvellous gift from our Father in Heaven.

3. Genuine friends! Perhaps I am thinking of this because I just listened to Joe Cocker (on Josh's "Greatest Songs of Woodstock" CD-LOL!) singing "Help From My Friends." But what would life be without people? People can drive me crazy, but I love them

4. Mexican food! GOOD Mexican food.

5. Mountains! Those who know me well know how much I miss the mountains. I feel best when I am in them, or at least looking at them. When I make a rare trip out west I realize how much the sentinels of my childhood affected me. I always looked up at the mountains, loved camping in them (one of the few happy times my family had), love the blazing blue sky that looks different in the mountains, love the pine scent, the sound of streams, the rocks. I hope I can retire to mountains.

11 comments:

Sally said...

oh I am so with you on the good Mexican food!!!

1-4 Grace said...

Awwwwweee.
Mexican food. I love it, but as of late can't eat it

Barbara B. said...

"light" -- what a COOL first word!

RevAnne said...

Oh yeah, good Mexican food. There's none where I live. Plenty that's bad, though.
My husband loves the mountains like you do. I enjoy them immensely, but it's not the same thing. A very special relationship, isn't it?
Great play, SO!

Unknown said...

What a sweet picture!

Jan said...

You're right about friends being among the best things in life. Mountains and trees are really beautiful. I'm glad you told me about your mother and pansies.

RevSis said...

Yummmm! I love Mexican food!

My eldest is also named Josh - we both share a love of all kinds of music, too. What a wonderful play!

much2ponder said...

How I would love to sit next to the river...this is a wonderful picture SO. I love you.

Anonymous said...

Great list...the light and music go together, I think.

Jennifer said...

I read through your list and thought, "What a cool woman! I wish she were my neighbor!"

Mavis said...

Great things. Inspired me to play late - or maybe it's still Friday for you anyways.