Friday, February 20, 2009

Friday Five: Taking a Break

Over at Rev Gal Blog Pals, Songbird says, "Where we live, it's February School Vacation Week!Yes, that's an odd thing, a vacation extending President's Day. But it's part of our lives here. Some people go South or go skiing, but we always stay home and find more humble amusements." I only have a few minutes before diving in to a very busy day, but I'll quickly play along, and I am assuming that money is not a problem.

She asks that we share how we would spend:

1. a 15 minute break
I would make a cup of tea or coffee and spend some time catching up with blogs I like.

2. an afternoon off
I am about to have too many of those, but I'll ignore that for now. I would go shopping, preferably with my daughter or a friend. I want SPRING clothes. Don't remind me that it is frigid outside. I do not care. I need color.

3. an unexpected free day
I need pampering. I think I would like a great haircut and style, a pedicure, a manicure, and a really good massage, please.

4. a week's vacation
Assuming I have a plane ticket and plenty of money, I would head to California and visit Betsy and Sophia and Presby Gal, and others. I'd eat California Mexican food, spend a couple of days in the mountains, and the rest of the time I'd veg on the beach. The beaches will, of course, be empty because it is February and Californians think it is too cold to be at the ocean.

5. a sabbatical
I had one a while back. I posted about it. It was the most stressful sabbatical imaginable, because while I went to some lovely places I was wrestling with the Lord for six weeks. I'm surprised that I didn't come back with a permanent limp (like Jacob). This time would be different. I would go somewhere with a beautiful church, a lovely setting in nature, and a fabulous library. I would study and study and pray and sit and....go to church in completely different traditions than my own.

The garden at St. Norbert's Center for Spirituality, De Pere, WI.
I spent some time there on my sabatical.

10 comments:

Betsy said...

The sun is shining on the palm trees, the snow is looking lovely on the mountains, and the smells of Mexican food are wafting this way...when you get that week, you're welcome here!

Deb said...

I am praying for the "next step" for you...
peace in the journey-
Deb

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

Oh, I can't wait for you to come see us! (Not the most practical suggestion at the moment, I suppose...) You'd be surprised how many people are still walking or biking the beach with FiestaBoy and me--not to mention the stalwart couple of surfers in the water that I'm not touching for another couple months!

Lori said...

I would take you for great Mexican food and then to San Clemente with us for a great time on the beach!

Let's GO!!

Auntie Knickers said...

Can't offer California, but I like your idea about visiting churches in different traditions. I always want to do this but don't often do it.

Unknown said...

What a lovely idea for a sabbatical, SO.

Jennifer said...

Our music director did exactly what you described for her sabbatical. Way cool!

Barbara B. said...

Hope you get to do the 'new and improved' sabbatical! :)

Gilly said...

Can't imagine you would want to come to damp, cold England just now, but it is beautiful in the Spring and summer, and we have loads of lovely churches to visit! Many of them over 500 years old.

Can't offer Mexican food though!

Unknown said...

anything done avoiding real work is not work. lets play