Saturday, February 02, 2008

My Sister is With the Lord

My sister, Darlaine, passed on this morning. Those of you who have known me, or read my blog for a while, know that Darlaine was suffering from Alzheimer's Disease.

I am not sad. This is the last of so many good byes over the years...so many losses as the disease ravaged her once bright mind and stole her beautiful smile and her humor and simple joy in living. Right now I am rejoicing that she is free from any pain or fear, and most of all free from the terrible confusion that haunted her days for a long time now.

I am sure I will have sad moments. I loved my sister dearly, and I would not be the person I am without having had her loving presence in my life. She was my sister, my friend, and in many ways she was my mother too.

She stored up many treasures in Heaven. Hearing the news of her death, I pictured a welcoming pary sent to the "shore" to welcome her over as she passed from this life to the next. Our "Daddy" was there, with our grandfather and grandmother , friends, several beloved aunts and uncles, a few cousins, a little brother we never knew, and a sister who maybe looks a little like me. :-) . Are twins still twins there? Anyway, I could see them in my mind's eye, looking gleeful and exclaiming, "Oh, here she comes now!" Then hugs, and some happy tears and smiles, much like it was years ago when we showed up at our grandfather's house in Texas.

Darlaine and Baby Me

About Two Years Ago

The Alzheimer's was advanced, but she was still trying to have fun and joke with me. It was a bittersweet day.

Dearest Darlaine,

What joy you must be having as you explore your new world.

Thanks for loving me always and sharing so much of my life. I'm finally reading the book you gave me a few years ago. I couldn't do it till recently, but a few days ago it felt right. As I read it, I'll picture you reading together with me as we so often did.

Hey, sweetie, sing a duet with Mahalia Jackson for me! How about "Walkin' in Jerusalem"? Oh, perfect! I wish I could hear you.

I love you, little big sister. Jesus must have been so happy to see you arrive! I'll be with you soon.

D.

23 comments:

Jules said...

May perpetual light shine upon her.

Prayers for you, your mama, and all who loved your sister. (((((SO)))))

Psalmist said...

My prayers and love are with you, dear one.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Thanks C.H. and Psalmist. I won't tell my mother though. She is past understanding, and her memory is so short I would have to tell her again and again. It will seem wrong not to tell her...thinking of that makes me cry. But it would be worse to do so. Sometimes she calls me Darlaine, and I'm never sure if she is just using the wrong name of if she does have us mixed up. I pray my mother will join my sister soon. She is so miserable as she is now. Sigh. God knows.

Jeni said...

When my Mother died of colo-rectal cancer that had spread into her liver and spleen, she was in such pain that the doctor told me neither the coma nor the pain killers the nurses administered to her were powerful enough to quell the pain. I had prayed, with our pastor at the time, for a swift end to this terrible ordeal for her. I would compare my feelings at losing her then to yours at losing your beloved sister now. There is the pain, the sorrow from losing the one we love and yet, there is the relief too knowing the agony they had endured had now come to an end. Death is actually, as I understand it too, a time to celebrate as we rejoice in a loved one's going "home" -that thought does help to push the grief aside bit by bit. My sympathy in the loss of your dear sister and I too rejoice with you on the reception she no doubt enjoyed once on the other side -health of mind and body restored, reunited with other family members once again.

Chris said...

Dear SO,

Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Take care of you!

LoieJ said...

God is calling you to grieve and rejoice on many levels. May you feel God's loving presence always in these situations.

Iris Godfrey said...

My prayers and deepest sympathy. I am so glad you had such a sweet sister here. He knows.

DannyG said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. (J)'s Dad developed Alzheimer's when he was 65, and died 4 years later of complications of throat cancer. It is so sad to see the light go out. I'm sure that she is releaved that the fog is gone.

Anonymous said...

May the One who has now welcomed her hold you and all who will miss her in the palm of His hand.

nightmare said...

I'm glad you are at peace with this. My prayers are with you.

net said...

"I will praise the Lord with all my heart and never forget His blessings to me."

Holding you up in the arms of prayer, SO!

Anonymous said...

God bless you and your family. The Pursifuls will be praying for you all.

Ruth said...

No matter how much a blessing one's passing is it still brings grief and sorrow. You are in my thoughts and prayers even more so right now.

((((( SO )))))

NE/ME said...

Many thoughts and prayers coming your way. Sister relationships are very precious. Blessings, Liz

Rachel Nguyen said...

Singing Owl,

My prayers are with you and your family today.

Hugs,
Rachel

Mary Beth said...

Oh, gosh. Wind knocked out of me. Praying for your grieving and laughing and remembering.
with love.

HeyJules said...

What a beautiful tribute to your sister. May all your memories of her be sweet ones...

Gannet Girl said...

My condolences and prayers for you, SO. Such a loss. May she find peace and you, concolation in that.

Rev SS said...

(((o))) and prayers SO

zorra said...

I'm so sorry for your loss--and thankful that you have so many good memories, too.

((SO))

Crimson Rambler said...

Dear Owl, I am so sorry. ((SO)). Remembering you and your sister in prayer...and mourning but not as those without hope, thanks be to God.

Anonymous said...

Prayers for you and your family.

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

Singing Owl, thank you for posting the beautiful picture and remembrances.

I am sorry for all the losses through the years as you saw her slip away, and rejoice with you in her new and abundant life.

What a Lent you have with the discernment on your vocation...Hugs and prayers and thank you for being such a faithful beacon of hope for so many of us.