Tuesday, August 04, 2009

General Council Update

The worship service for General Council was really good. Thousands of people singing "Holy Holy Holy" is a moving experience! Pentecostal pastors do know how to sing with enthusiasm and the convention center was filled with praise. There is something amazing about singing praise to God along with thousands of other worshipers. The worship leaders and choir were superb.

A sixteen year old named Parker brought the crowd to our feet as he challenged us to effectively resource the next generation of ministers, and our General Supt., Dr. George Wood preached a truly powerful sermon. It was about the legacy we leave behind and was based on someone that I don't think I've ever heard a sermon about in my whole life--Leah (Jacob's first wife). She was a woman who would have considered her life a failure. She experienced much that was unfair, even abusive--and yet Dr. Wood took us on a walk through scripture that showed us how the significance of her life could not be contained, or measured, during her lifetime. I found myself getting teary-eyed more than once. It was good.

Tomorrow we get up early and head out for the start of the business sessions. The resolution I spoke of in the previous post is number five, so we may get to it tomorrow.

Good night!

6 comments:

Gayle A. Brostowski said...

I appreciate your update concerning General Council, especially since I'm not there.

Lori said...

Go get 'em tiger woman!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hope the rest goes well!

much2ponder said...

I wish I had been there for that sermon! Actually I wish I would have been there for all of it, but thought it was only for pastors and their spouses.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

It is for clergy and for church representatives. I thought of you many times during that sermon. I have something to give you that relates. See you soon. Man, good to be home!