Friday, January 18, 2008

Friday Five--Read Any Good Books Lately?

Over at RevGals, REVHROD gives us this weeks Friday Five:
1.What book have you read in the last six months that has really stayed with you? Why?

I have always been a voracious reader, and for some reason reading has become difficult over the last six months. I don't know what's up, but I hope it gets set right soon! Let me think...I think it would be "Secrets of the Secret Place" by Bob Sorge. Yes, it is a not-so-good title. But the book is better than its name. As someone who has often struggled to find joy in devotional times, this book was a valuable help. Some chapters are much better than others, and some may disagree at some points with his occasionally simplistic approach. But connecting with God should be simple in a sense. Anyway, I recommend it to those who are seeking fresh insight into why time alone with the Lord is so essential and some specific insights to consider.

2. What is one of your favorite childhood books?

Just one? I have dozens of favorites. "Little Women." My sisters and I read it over and over and over and over and... well actually I read anything Louisa May Alcott wrote. I also loved "Eight Cousins." Then there was " The Sugar Creek Gang," a Christian book series from the 30s or 40s that I found in a box in the attic. Oh, and who could miss the "Dr. Dolittle" books? Or Ramona and Beezus? I read "Black Beauty" so many times I wore it out. Or "The Wind in the Willows?" That is a book that can be enjoyed by children and adults alike. Oh, I'll stop. I was a kid who always had my "nose in a book" as my mom used to say.

3. Do you have a favorite book of the Bible? Do tell!

Oh, that is hard too. If I MUST pick just one I pick Isaiah and Psalms. (Okay, I cheated.) Isaiah is for it's wonderful poetry, and the fact that I have felt God communicating with me more times from Isaiah than any other book. As for Psalms, one has to love the raw honesty, the laments, the acknowledgement that life does not always seem to make sense, the consistent determination to trust God anyway, and the glorious passages of praise. I turn to Psalms in moments of great joy and in moments of great distress. They are songs, you know.

4. What is one book you could read again and again?

"A Walk Across America" and "The Walk West" by Peter Jenkins. They are dated in the sense that Jenkins walk was done in the 70s. However, his tale is fascinating, uplifting, surprising and encouraging. I've read these books several times, and each time I feel like I am on the road with Pete. What memorable places! What fascinating people! This is especially so because they are real.

5. Is there a book you would suggest for Lenten reading? What is it and why?

The Day I Was Crucified by Gene Edwards. There are some parts that do not square totally with the gospel accounts, but I found this book intriguing because it is written in the first person, from Jesus' perspective. I do like Gene Edwards very much, but he can be a bit of an acquired taste.

Bonus: The bonus question asks what I would write about if I was authoring a book, and who would I want to write the jacket blurb expounding on my talent.

I have ideas percolating (ever since a short series written here) on concepts of "The Church" versus "the church"--meaning the invisible and universal church comprised all all believers in Jesus Christ and the local expression of that--and why the two seem so disconnected sometimes. Or then again, once I am famous, I could just write an autobiography. I actually do have some interesting stuff to share. :-) Oh, jacket blurb....hmmm...how about my very smart friend Dr. Platypus (Darrell Pursifel).

Why am I suddenly incapable of just ONE answer?

13 comments:

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

Great minds think alike! I also chose Little Women (and Eight Cousins, and etc) and Psalms.

RevHRod said...

Oh I loved Eight Cousins! Thanks for the reminder.

Thanks for a great play!

Processing Counselor said...

I loved the picture of you with your nose in a book!

Sally said...

I've never read Eight Cousins, but I have read some stuff by Bob Sorge before, and have added your reccomendation to my wish list!

RevAnne said...

Great play!

Lori said...

I love Louisa May Alcott too! And the Psalms are on my list as well.

I haven't been able to read much for the last couple years. If you find a solution, let me know!

Sue said...

Great play! And what a lovely picture of you, your Mom and Trinity!!! Have I ever told you what gorgeous hair you have???? Really. It's lovely!

Jan said...

I loved "Little Women" and "Eight Cousins" when I was young, too. I never could understand why my daughters didn't like "Little Women." My oldest said it was too patriarchal, but it was also the times. . . .

mid-life rookie said...

Louisa May Alcott and Psalms seem to take high honors in this Friday Five. I never read Eight Cousins, but read Little Men and Jo's Boys after Little Women.

QuakerPastor said...

I can't believe I forgot about Beverly Cleary! Great Play!

Unknown said...

Ah, I loved Eight Cousins! (And Rose in Bloom, too. Loved Mac.)

Anonymous said...

Great play...and don't worry, I had a hard time picking just one answer, too.

RevDrKate said...

Loved your choices in all categories. Too many great books to narrow down to one choice!