Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Central Lutheran and Westminister Presbyterian

I am still not recovered, but I'm getting better today. I decided to post a few pictures and hopefully be able to write something coherent tomorrow.

Several fellow Festival of Homiletics attenders have blogged about the beautiful Gothic-style sanctuary of Central Lutheran. Here is something Kim said about the experience of singing in that magnificent building.

"...2100 voices singing "God of Grace and God of Glory," accompanied by a glorious pipe organ, surrounded by magnificent stained glass, in the beautiful neo-Gothic sanctuary of Central Lutheran Church. The music and the singing carried me up to the high-arched ceilings and beyond. This was also where most of the worship services and lectures were held. And the hymnal was vibrating as I held it, such were the sound waves echoing through the sanctuary."


I was trying to capture the stained glass colors and failed. But you get the idea.

This is a small detail of one of the many windows at Central Lutheran.



I took this picture at twilight as I waited for a ride.


While the soaring ceiling and windows at Central Lutheran were impressive, the stained glass at Westminster Presbyterian Church was totally amazing to me. Click on the photos for a larger view.

The pinks and purples of this stunning window were a surprise.

And the "smaller" side windows are gorgeous as well.

Each of the sanctuary's four walls has a huge round window. Here is another wall.

I was leaving the balcony when these reflections on the wall and sill caught my eye. Beautiful! It made me think of how we are like windows that reflect Christ's light in our own unique ways.

This is a "small chapel." It is about the size of Jubilee's sanctuary back home.

4 comments:

Iris Godfrey said...

These windows are beautiful! Thank you for sharing them. I love stain glass windows -- especially in a church, and am drawn to such buildings. Close ups make good photo cards for others; also good CD covers for teachings. I used stained glass window pictures on an entire series of CD covers.

So glad you were blessed there.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Two Pentecostal preacher ladies who are drawn to such buildings...interesting. Iris, I'd love to have you join me if I ever get to attend another FOH.

Auntie Knickers said...

You made me a little homesick for Minneapolis --- my daughter has sung at Westminster and I think also at Central. My church was smaller, but we had beautiful stained glass too (as does my current one.) I have come to believe each denomination (and each religion) has something special to offer -- and each congregation, in fact.

Rev Kim said...

You really captured the beauty of the stained glass windows in your photos.

Regarding the "small chapel", I had the same reaction! I saw something that said the chapel holds 175 and is ideal for a "smaller, intimate wedding." The sanctuary here holds about 100 if everyone is willing to get a bit cozy.