Saturday, May 17, 2008

Share God's Love

If you have been reading here you know that my church is exploring an OASIS theme together as a way to think about our vision and purpose.

O Offer Hope
A Advance God’s Kingdom
S Share God’s Love
I Invest in People
S Seek God’s Purpose

I've posted sermons the last few weeks, but this week I am just posting scriptures. We are reading these passages from Psalms as part of Sunday's worship service. They focus on God's love.

Psalm 63:1-8

O God, you are my God; I earnestly seek You
My soul thirsts for you; my whole body longs for you in this parched and weary land where there is no water.
I have seen you in your sanctuary and gazed upon your power and glory.
Your unfailing love is better than life itself;
how I praise you!
I will praise you as long as I live, lifting up my hands to you in prayer.
You satisfy me more than the richest feast.
I will praise you with songs of joy.
I lie awake thinking of you, meditating on you through the night.
Because you are my helper, I sing for joy in the shadow of your wings.
I cling to you;
your strong right hand holds me securely.

Psalm 103:8-14

The Lord is compassionate and merciful,
slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love.
He will not constantly accuse us,
nor remain angry forever.
He does not punish us for all our sins;
he does not deal harshly with us, as we deserve.
For his unfailing love toward those who fear him
is as great as the height of the heavens above the earth.
He has removed our sins as far from us
as the east is from the west.
The Lord is like a father to his children,
tender and compassionate to those who fear him.
For he knows how weak we are;
he remembers we are only dust.

Psalm 89:1-2

I will sing of the Lord’s unfailing love forever!
Young and old will hear of your faithfulness.
Your unfailing love will last forever.
Your faithfulness is as enduring as the heavens.

Those who begin to understand the kind of love God gives to us should begin to explore how that love can be shared! Below are some that will help you begin to think about how God’s love is shown through us to those around us.

Consider reading one passage each day this week, and spending some time thinking and praying about what God may want to speak to your heart. Who is around you who needs to know His love, and what can you do about it?

Monday John 13:35,

Tuesday I John 3:16-18

Wednesday John 4:16b-20

Thursday Romans 13:8

Friday 1 Corinthians 12:31b-13:13

Saturday Ephesians 3 17b-19

I'm off to pack for the Festival of Homiletics. Back in a week!

2 comments:

Jeni said...

Thanks for the great Psalms you posted and also, for the suggested readings for the coming week. I shall have to make a note to come back here each day and read the words you suggested.

much2ponder said...

Very good scripture readings. I printed a copy of this post to take along in my Bible for prayer and meditation throughout the week. Hope you are having fun at your Festival of Hommies. You are loved.