Friday, May 30, 2008

Friday Five: Garage Sale!


Songbird and will smama host the Friday Five this week, asking:

1) Are you a garage saler?

No. However, my husband is. I mean he is the KING of garage sales. I think it is an obsession. If he sees a garage sale sign and does not stop he makes sure I know about it. It's rare, let me tell you. So sometimes I'm a garage saler because I'm a captive in the vehicle that brakes for garage sales.

2) If so, are you an immediate buyer or a risk taker who comes back later when prices are lower?

If it is a good deal, we are immediate buyers. Late in the day, only the true junk remains. If you are going to do this thing right, you must get up early.

3) Seriously, if you're not a garage saler, you are probably not going to want to play this one. (That wasn't really #3.)

3) This is the real #3: What's the best treasure you've found at a yard or garage sale?

A handmade wooden cradle for Trinity. Twenty five bucks! And my living room rocker is another. It is a beauty--large, carved, hardwood, not a scratch, and we snagged it for $50. I felt bad for taking it. (Almost.)

4)If you've done one yourself, at church or at home, was it worth the effort?

No. And NO. Nothing is worth that hassle, IMO.

5) Can you bring yourself to haggle?
Of course. Haggling is essential, and makes being dragged to garage sales bearable!

BONUS: For the true aficionado: Please discuss the impact of Ebay, Craig's List, Freecycle, etc... on the church or home yard/garage sale.

I don't even know what Craig's List and Freecycle are, so....guess I'll leave this question alone!

5 comments:

Terri said...

hee hee, good answers, good play!

Unknown said...

How awesome to find a cradle and rocker!

Diane M. Roth said...

I know what you mean about Craigs list. I just learned recently....

Mavis said...

Good play. There's bound to be a freecycle near you. I love it! So maybe try. i have the international link on my blog if you want to come visit sometime.

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.