Friday, October 15, 2010

A Connecting Friday Five

Over at Rev Gal Blog Pals, Jan says, "I am currently reading Bowling Alone by Robert D. Putnam, where he explores the changes in community in the USA in the 20th Century. He explains how communities, people, and especially children function better when they live where there is high social capital. Basically, it means that "relationships matter."We all know this because Christianity (and other religions) emphasize the Golden Rule: All things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you,do ye so to them; for this is the law and the prophets. Matthew 7:1

So here are some questions to ponder for this Friday Five about connecting with:

1. Self: Who was your hero/heroine when you were about ten years old?

I had two. One was Helen Keller. I was reading the story of her life, and as a kid with some physical challenges she made me realize that just about anything could be faced and overcome, especially with someone to help you (like her Teacher, Anne Sullivan). The other was Lottie Moon. Southern Baptist that I was, I did not see women in any sort of ministry role, nor would it have occurred to me that such might ever be the case. But Lottie Moon was a herione to Southern Baptists (I certainly hope she still is). She was a beautiful woman who gave up a fiancee and a life of relative comfort to go off to China. Amazing woman. Another person, come to think of it, who modeled great perserverence in the face of adversity.

2. Family: Who are you most like? Who is most like you?

I don't know...I'm sort of a mix of my two sisters. My late sis, Darlaine, was the reader, more of an introvert. Paulette, the middle sis, was more outgoing. I am a sometimes slightly mixed up and confused version of both of them, I think. According to Paulette, Trinity is like me. I think she may be right. Loves words, music, and there are other similiaries too. :-)

3. Friends: How do you stay in touch?

Phone, letters, emails, Facebook (if you call that staying in touch), and sometimes I do not do a very good job of this. I need to find better ways not to lose track of important people in my life.

4. Neighborhood, community: What are ways you like to be involved?

Hmmm...I admit, living in the town where I was formerly a pastor tends to make me NOT be involved. I go to work in another town, and I am pretty much keeping to myself these days. Not so good, maybe? In general, I like ecumenical gatherings and efforts, parades, community fun times (think Martha and the Vandellas "Dancing in the Streets") and such like.

5. Job/church: Do you see a need that will help in developing connections?

Yes. And I can't share about it right now. Maybe later!

Bonus: A link or anything else about connecting

Here is a song I dearly love. We used to sing the chorus when I was pastoring at Jubilee. Hope you like it too.

4 comments:

Terri said...

another good song! love the photo in your header - beautiful!

Jan said...

Wonderful song! Now I have to google Lottie Moon--I never heard of her. Thanks.

Sandy said...

I have been struggling with how to reconcile the limits of personal and professional involvement, so I'm glad to know I'm not alone in some of that gray area!

Faith Hope and Cherrytea said...

Beautiful song!
thx for sharing - now you have my curiosity aroused about #5 :)
blessings today!
come by for my sunday song selection when you have a minute or two..
i'm connecting with spiritual sundays - tons of great inspiration online