Friday, January 28, 2011

Fave Verses Fridy Five

I'll try to get back to this little blog for more than the occasional Friday Five. Meanwhile...

Songbird says this today, "For today's Friday Five, list your five favorite passages/verses from the Bible and tell us something about why you love them." I have so many--hard to pick just five!

1. Phillipiand 3:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

My mother shared this verse with me, when I was about eight years old and struggling with an issue related to my low vision. She told me about how I was born sooner than I should have been, some of what resulted, and some of her concerns with the little baby that was me. Then she told me about the morning she prayed for me and believed God gave her this verse as assurance that I was in bigger hands than hers. The conversation stayed with me, making quite an impression. God's supply of riches is much greater than I can imagine!

2. II Timothy 3:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.


I memorized this verse (King James Version, of course) in Jr. High.

Here it is in the New Living Translation. Work hard so you can present yourself to God and receive his approval. Be a good worker, one who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly explains the word of truth.


I attended a Baptist school from grade 7-12, and seventh graders took a "Bible" class one day a week. Our teacher chalked this one up on the board as one of our weekly memory verses. I didn't know it when I was 13, but this scripture was to become a guide to me for much of my life. I was amazed that God was pleased with my study. I had a deep desire to please God, and even though I now understand that my views were rather heavy on law and light on grace, the desire was genuine. The scripture sank in. It's why today, nearly half a century later, I deplore the lack of study that I see in the church, the lack of learning to think about scripture, to take that "rightly dividing" part seriously. We evangelical charismatic types are too fond of our superstars, of sound bites, of nice-sounding positive phrases. God is not pleased with sloppy exegesis....oh okay. I'll get off my soapbox now.

3. Psalm 91:1-4 Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty. 2 This I declare about the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I trust him. 3 For he will rescue you from every trap and protect you from deadly disease. 4 He will cover you with his feathers. He will shelter you with his wings. His faithful promises are your armor and protection.

As a young wife and mother I spent a horrid December night in fear that my beloved husband was going to die. It was unusually cold, a bitter -25 or so outside, and the wind howled and the snow blew, matching my mood. Ken was seriously ill in the hospital. I was at home with the children and it was the wee hours of the morning. I sat upright in bed, sleepless and terrified, trying to pray, crying, trying to tell myself I was being silly...trying to get sleepy. I pulled out my Bible and read the 91st Psalm again and again. The powerful comfort of these verses were what got me through the night and helped me begin to experience some peace.

4. Psalm 150


5. Gal.3:28 There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, neither male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

I once remember thinking, "When did they put THAT in the Bible?" A life-changing verse for me. I have to head out the door, so I can't explain why, but I suspect you already have a good idea.

9 comments:

Terri said...

I love that the Psalms speak to you so deeply. I didn't choose any of them in my play this morning, but I agree - and also that Galatians reading is powerful and transformational.

Jan said...

Thank you. I really like that your mother introduced the first verse to you when you were only eight. What a connection.

Unknown said...

On number 5, I love your initial reaction, as well as where I suspect it took you. Wonderful.

altar ego said...

The psalms have so much to reveal to us, about God and about ourselves. Glad they feed you.

Wendy said...

This is powerful. Thanks.

My parents have said about their Assemblies church, that there is much more serious study there than there was in the late seventies when they were first saved and attended quite a few Assemblies meetings and Bible Studies. I hope and think that's true all around and not just their specific church.

Sally said...

Love your thoughts Singingowl- so glad your hubby pulled through, as for those thoughts on exegesis :-) I'm with you there!

Chilly Fingers said...

As a pastor, one of my faves is Exodus 17:4... "What am I to do with these people?"

I had to chuckle when I read that you memorized in the KJV - let me shew myself as a former Baptist and telleth you that's how I memorized too!

Faith Hope and Cherrytea said...

great and enjoyable share, Singing Owl! and MANY thx for the visit & taking time for chat at FHC!!

Wendy said...

off topic: I would love to hear what you think of A Wrinkle in Time when you finish.