Friday, October 26, 2012

Friday Five:What's On Your Shelf?

It has been a very long time since I played the Rev Gal Blog Pals Friday Five.  The reasons are many, but Deb enticed me to play today.  Here's what she said:

Recently I decided to re-organize my study and put books of like topic and purpose together. (Of course, they don't stay that way -- but that's another matter!) I also culled out some books which I hesitated to even donate to the library book sale because they were either extremely outdated or had content that I didn't want the unexamined mind to read. (Not quite as bad as "The Total Woman" but... you get my drift!)

And here are the questions she poses to us today:

1. STUDYING: What is your favorite book or series for sermon prep or study? Or have you moved from books to on-line tools for your personal study?

I have mostly moved from books to online resources for sermon study.  I have an OLD series of commentaries (I'm talking early 1900s) that, oddly enough, serve well when I want a hard copy of something to study.  There are about 12 volumns and they are called "The Preachers Study" and I'd tell you more except I am not able to access them at the moment.  The insights are often basic but  profound.

2. IN THE QUEUE: Do you have a queue of books you are longing to read or do you read in bits and pieces over several books at a time? What's in the queue?

These days I tend to read in bits and peices, though that is not how I prefer it.  Honestly, these days I so seldom get to just be alone and sit and read for pleasure.  I'm longing to do so, but there seems to be no space for it.  I have a shelf of books, none of them new, that I hope to get to.  I haven't bought anything new because I just can't make myself do so when I already have so many unread volumns.

Someone gave me a small paperback by David W. Dyer, someone I never heard of, and it is shaking my world a bit.  The title is "Let My People Go: Freedom from Religious Bondage" and pictures a ball and chain.  I've only read two short chapters, and I am re-reading, very carefully.  Not sure what to think, but it's a bit revolutionary for pastor-types.  Making me think however, and that's a good thing.  I hope...

I'm about to purchase, "Torn: Rescuing the Gospel from the Gays-vs.-Christians Debate" by Justin Lee.

3. FAVORITE OF ALL TIME: What's one book that you have to have in your study? Is it professional, personal, fun or artistic? (For instance, I have a copy of Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. It just helps sometimes.)

I can't pick a favorite book.  I mean, I don't mean to be annoying, but the Bible is where I have to start.  Sometimes in sermon prep I have to make myself NOT look at anything else for a while, so I don't get stuck in pre-conceived notions. 

4. KINDLE OR PRINT? or both? Is there a trend in your recent purchases?

I have a Kindle.  It is handy for some reading. But I much prefer books.  I like the look, the feel and the smell.   Books have good associations from my life.  My Kindle does not.

5. DISCARDS: I regularly cruise the "FREE BOOKS" rack at our local library. (I know, I know. It's a bad habit!) When's the last time you went through your books and gave some away (or threw some away?) Do you remember what made the discard pile?

I have not done this for a looooong time.  I have a large stack of boxes full of books in the basement and a stack in my office and it is on my to-do list for this month.  MUST do it.  It is difficult.  My new ministry venture, "The OASIS" meets above a thrift store, so I do have the perfect drop-off place. 

6 comments:

PrJoolie said...

When I was on internship I had a set of the old Interpreter's Bible (from the 50s?) that stood me in good stead when facing a new passage. Would love to hear more about OASIS.

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

There is a particular smell to books...as well as the feel of my highlighter or pen careening across the sentences.

river song said...

thanks for playing today! I need to check out your old commentary; see you online!

RevAlli said...

Above a thrift store! What a great location. Keep us posted--to you bring more or carry down more books/things? It could be a blog in itself--Down the thrift shop stairs.

Deb said...

I am also someone who loves the feel and smell of books (Captain Obvious is shaking her head!) Thanks for your play - good stuff! :)

Wendy said...

I am working a couple of days a week this year at a desk in the church library. When I'm between things, I pull out some of the old books. They have a few old commentary sets. Great stuff.