Thursday, March 13, 2008

Do You Hear What I Hear?

It didn't start off to be a happy day. I did not sleep well and I awoke feeling depressed and troubled about a conversation from yesterday. It was gray out (as usual)."Oh drat!" I muttered as I grumpily realized that Ken is out of town--AGAIN--so I needed to get the trash out to the curb.

I stepped carefully because there are at least two inches of ice below the driveway. No amount of ice chipping, salt, sand or grumbling has been able to clear it out. The snow banks by the drive are still over three feet tall, and the tops are a dirty black. Sigh.

I returned to the house, made coffee, showered and dressed. Beginning to wake up, I climbed into our increasingly creaky minivan. Uh oh! It did not want to start, but after some threats of heading to the junk yard it decided better about it and cranked to life.

I headed out of town for a clergy meeting at Little UCC in the Country. I'd never been to the church before. I got lost (as usual.

Arriving late, which made me even grumpier, I hopped out of the van and headed towards what I hoped was the proper door to enter. Why in the world can't people put signs up when there is more than one door, anyhow?

Then it happened--the thing which turned my day around, made me smile, renewed hope in my spirit, and helped me start to make a badly-needed attitude adjustment.

Cheeeer Cheeeer! In the bare branches of a nearby tree perched a Cardinal. He called his unmistakable warning, to me I guess, since I saw no other signs of life around.

One lone cardinal trilling his territorial mating song in a bare, grey landscape! Life got instantly better.

And a few minutes ago I passed the bank with the big time and temp sign. It's forty degrees!

Ah, spring will come!

7 comments:

Jules said...

It's actually 47 down south here! Woo Hoo!

LoieJ said...

I can't beleive it, we have 45 degrees, but we NEVER have cardinals, which are one of the cheeriest birds. But even the chickadees sing a cheerier song this time of year.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

I haven't heard any chickadees yet, or any other birds for that matter.

DannyG said...

I saw our first blue-bird on my morning walk today. Last week the red-tailed hawk was back on her nest after being away all winter. Yes, spring is upon us.

Ruth said...

Today felt like spring. It was 50 yesterday and in the 30's today. The snow and ice are melting, which makes walking dangerous but it's so nice to have the warmer weather I'm happy. I'm looking forward to my first dandylion

Anonymous said...

:)

about 33 F here ... no sign of spring yet ... except the slightly longer days. That helps !

much2ponder said...

I'm sorry things started out the way they did, but God is still God and he is so much better than good. He gave you eyes to see through the rain and you found a treasure. (((((((Pastor)))))))