Friday, March 21, 2008

A Good Friday Five

RevHRod from RevGals offers this Friday Five:
As a child the designation "good" for today confused me. How could we call such a somber day, good? Holy, yes. Blessed, yes. But, good? As an adult I understand the meaning of good for this day. It is a solemn day of remembrance but it is also a time for us to stop and recall the great gift of love that we received this day. And that is most certainly good. Our worship today will differ from place to place. Some services will focus on the great litany of prayers. Others will use the seven last words of Jesus. Some of us will walk the stations of the cross. Others will participate in a Tennebrae service of shadows and light. I hope that this Friday Five will be a meaningful part of your Good Friday. God's blessings to you on your journey.

1. Our prayer concerns are as varied as we are this day. For whom would you like us to pray?

My mother, 91, in the nursing home with dementia, lonely and confused.
My husband, several health issues.
My church, renewed hope, energy, finances, people
Uh, how many am I allowed? :-)

2. Are there things you have done or will do today to help the young ones understand this important day in our lives?

Not today, but in the past have made those little resurrection cookies out of egg whites that I now know we shouldn't make due to health concerns...but it sure was a good illustration. Easter Sunday--empty!

3. Music plays an important part in sharing the story of this day. Is there a hymn or piece of music that you have found particularly meaningful to your celebrations of Good Friday?

There are so many hymns I love....we don't do many of them at my church. Last night we sang "At the Cross" - I always get a bit weepy at this time, so the verse, "But drops of grief can ne'er repay the debt of love I owe. Here, Lord, I give myselt away, 'Tis all that I can do..." We also sang the chorus "Allelujah" with just guitar, my favortie way.

4. As you hear the passion narrative, is there a character that you particularly resonate with?

Peter. That is because he'd die with the Lord if need be. He had a good heart, a big mouth, good intentions but most of all he was afraid and his fear led him to a failure. That has happened to me more times than I like to remember. Thank God for grace. I also understand the resentment of those who were disappointed and thinking, "Hey, where is God? THIS isn't how it is supposed to be!"

5. Where have you seen the gracious God of love at work lately?

At church I'm watching people begin to connect in good ways. It's God. No other explanation!

And now I have to go prepare for my part in the Tennabrae service. We considered canceling because of snow, but I think we are proceeding, unlike the poor folks south of us who may get up to 15 inches! Blessings to all on this day.

9 comments:

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

Wow, I can hardly imagine snow on Good Friday--we never had it that early when I was in South Bend though apparently the year before I got there it snowed on Easter.

Blessings on Tenebrae and the rest of your services--and the resurrection God seems to be working in your community. How amazing and wonderful.

Sally said...

Praise God for renewed connections-may you br truly blessed this Easter time . It is snowing here too.

Muthah+ said...

May your Easter be as much as your rising as it was for our Lord.

RevHRod said...

My heart aches for your mom and those whose loneliness and sadness comes that way. Prayers for you and yours.

Auntie Knickers said...

Well, as usual, I'm fixating on the food. Resurrection cookies? Egg whites? Empty on Easter? Please! I need to know about this! In Minnesota, we could get pasteurized eggs in the shell; and perhaps these would work with the powdered egg whites too, I think they are called Just Whites. Anyway please post recipe!
And, praying for your Mom, your husband and your church.

Rachel said...

inquiring minds want to know, after Easter of course. what ARE the resurrection egg white cookies?? love and prayers for your mom.

nightmare said...

It's a pretty focused storm. I got about 3 inches at my apartment, but the shop I work at 13 miles away got closer to 5, and our shop about 9 miles further south got about 8 inches. some of the northern suburbs got an inch or less.

Unknown said...

Oh very good.
And you are allowed as many prayer requests as you need.
Prayer for you mom, your husband, your church and for you.

At the cross is a good one.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading your answers--like others, I'm intrigued by the cookies. As for snow, we have about 8 inches here and still going...