Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Advent Week Four ~ Joy ~ Day Three


Today's post is from guest blogger, Kris.
Habakkuk 3 17-19
Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vines; even though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren; even though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns are empty,yet I will rejoice in the Lord! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation! The Sovereign Lord is my strength!He makes me as surefooted as a deer,able to tread upon the heights.

This can be a difficult time of year for many of us. Did you know joy is a choice? Do you choose to look for joy regardless of your surroundings? In our scripture for today we see similarities to our current economic situation. Perhaps if Habakkuk wrote this today, it would go something like this:

Even though the price of oil is going up,
and the cost of food is higher than it has ever been before;
even though the future is unsure and I have no job security;
even though my house won’t sell and I can’t get a good loan:
Yes, even in all of this I will rejoice in the Lord! I will be joyful in the God that has saved me.
The King of Heaven is my strength!
He makes me as surefooted as a deer able to escape the deer hunter’s sight...

...Or something like that.

We can choose to find things to be happy about, or we can choose to focus on the negative. The joy of the Lord is our strength, but if we choose to ignore the good and focus on the bad we will never have the strength to laugh in spite of hard times.

Prayer: Lord help me to find joy in all the things you do for me as your son or daughter. Whether the blessing is large or small, may nothing rob me of the joy you intend to give me. Grant me mercy in the sad times, and fill my life with laughter, peace and joy. Amen

No comments: