Monday, December 15, 2008

Advent Week Three: Love ~ Day Two

Today's devotion is by guest blogger, Kris.

I Corinthians 13:1-3
If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn’t love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God’s secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn’t love others, I would be nothing. If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn’t love others, I would have gained nothing.


Have you played that game? You know, the one where you imagine what you would do if you won the Lotto or the Reader’s Digest Sweepstakes and became an instant multimillionaire? Most of us have at one time or another imagined what we would do if we were as rich as Bill Gates. Did you know that many of those who win the lottery later say they regret having won? Did you know money doesn’t make you happy?

What if you were super-duper smart? Then would life be better? Some of the happiest people I’ve ever known had neither money nor “smarts; in fact, they had Down’s Syndrome. They were happy with a roof over their head, a meal to eat, some crayons and paper and someone to love and pay attention to them.

Love is something that grows the more you give it away. The more love you give out, the more love you will receive—and the more blessings from God you will receive as well. Have you ever met a person that at first glance seemed good looking, but as you got to know his or her personality, that beauty seemed to disappear? Or do you know someone whose loving heart so shines out that you think of them as beautiful even if you can’t say that of that person’s physical appearance?

The Bible says that money, gifts, talents and abilities are all worth nothing without love. Love makes everything better and quite often can help you grow content with what you have. If you focus on what you lack and what others have you will likely find yourself growing envious. It becomes all too easy to lose love and appreciation for the blessings that you do have.

Prayer: Jesus help me to allow Your love to fill my heart. May it influence my choices. Let my love of you, home, family, friends, church and all people be my guiding influence. Remove envy and discontentment from me and give me satisfaction with life. Amen

No comments: